DIY Plaster Vases

While blogging about Target's new Safavieh collection {see post HERE}. . . I fell in love with the simplicity of this vase vignette. .  . 


Gorgeous, right?
But I rarely come across beautiful {affordable} pieces like this all in one place.
Enter the ever dependable:

Without fail, those shelves are lined with .69 cent glass vases of all shapes and sizes.
Here are some of the ones that made the cut yesterday:

 Not terribly gorgeous standing alone as a collection.
I knew I wanted them to have the matte look of pottery.
My first thought was spray paint.  But usually painted glass looks like just that- painted glass.
Plus it would be much too shiny for my purposes.
Having experimented with plaster lately, I had a hunch that would be just the ticket.


What You'll Need:
Any color paint that you like 
{I love the look of BM Classic Gray, which ends up looking more white than gray.
SW Wool Skein also has a nice plaster look.}
Plaster of Paris
Sponge Brush
Mixing Bowl

With supplies set, you're ready for the fun part!
1.  Create a mixture of 50% Plaster and 50% Paint
(it should have the consistency of a brownie batter)
2. Mix well so that you get as many lumps out as you can


3. Start Painting
It's like icing a cake
{Goodness- I must be hungry....every analogy is somehow food related right now}
The best part is, you can't really mess up!
You don't have to be careful with brush strokes or even little clumps of plaster.
You'll sand it all down in the end.

4. Wait patiently for them to dry & then paint the inside of the vases {if needed}

5. Once dry, sand with a rough grit.  This will help get any leftover clumps off.
**Steel Wool also works well for this and gives the added benefit of an aged gray color to layer on top of the white.
For this purpose, I wanted them as matte and as white as possible, so I just stuck with the sandpaper.

So for a grand total of $4.00, here's the new vase collection.



Now if I could only DIY that gold console table!

Don't you think these would look fabulous on dark built-ins for a splash of white?

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment