Selection Series: Master Bathroom

Today, instead of counting the hours until baby boy's arrival, I'm dreaming of master baths!
Ours - after the remodel is complete - in particular.
I feel so undeserving to be able to plan out my dream bath....truth be told, I've lived with a tiny bathroom for most of my life and it's worked out just fine.
BUT. . . I am over the moon excited to be able to make my vision for a master bath come to life.

One disclaimer: I wanted to go brass; but Michael put his foot down at that.
He's so very open to SO many things - for some reason he has a mental block on brass fixtures and I'm OK with that.
{Probably because he knows me well and knows that the moment the trend starts to lose its luster, I'll be begging to switch back to polished chrome.}

The first and most prominent element of the room will be the wet room.
{Fancy term for putting the tub inside the shower}
Have you seen this trend?  It's really nothing new - very popular in Europe especially!  However it's just starting to pick up steam on this side of the pond.

{via Apartment Therapy}

I first fell in love with this concept at a dear friend's home and hoped that one day it would make its way to our bathroom.  It somehow gives the room a luxury, spa-like feel at not much more cost than installing a tub and shower separately.  Win, win!

Let's talk flooring:
We have these large slate tiles in our downstairs bath currently and I absolutely adore them!  Easy to clean, very durable and I think I'll love the contrast of their deep grey with the white marble.
To keep things from looking too sterile and to add warmth to the room, I'm thinking it's time for those traditional bath mats to GO!! Let's make room for a Persian rug in there - who says you always have to play by the rules? 

Faucets:
Since we're not going brass, I'm thinking Waterhill Collection from Moen will be gorgeous!

Vanity:
Because of the way the room lays out, our vanity will be extremely long {10 feet or so....giving Michael plenty of room to "primp"} Jussst kidding - that would be ME!

To make the best use of the space and break up the two sinks a bit, we've decided to go with some b built in cabinetry in between the two sinks.  This gives us plenty of storage and keeps a lot of those unwanteds off of the counter space. 
{via Houzz}

Lighting:
Thankfully, we'll have lots of natural light flooding this space.  In addition to that, we'll also add recessed lighting above and four of these gorgeous little sconces to the vanity area:
I'm always amazed at the price of some sconces.  I found several that I love; but couldn't get past their price tag {especially since we'll be needing four.}
Home Depot to the rescue: Remington Brushed Nickel Wall Sconce
At $49 each, I think they'll fit perfectly into the budget.

I'm sure there are a million more selections to come for the master bath . . . . 
But for now, I think we've got a great start to what I hope will be a gorgeous and airy room.

No comments:

Post a Comment