Making an Apartment Feel Like Home

We did it!  We've moved.  With just days to spare until our baby boy's arrival, we've packed up hundreds of boxes (I'm sure that's not an exaggeration), stored most of our furniture, purged every single closet, sold some "extras", and made countless trips to Goodwill.  Though it was exhausting and not at all fun for a nesting mama-to-be with a 16 month old clinging to my leg; it feels so good to be temporarily settled into our tiny cozy apartment.

Michael and I joked that everyone should move at least every five years- it reminds you that less really IS more and you get rid of SO. MUCH. JUNK.
{Not even kidding, I found monogrammed cookies in wrappers from our wedding five years ago....exactly what was I saving those for again?} 

So until our home renovation {see previous post} is complete, we're nice and comfy in our pint-sized three bedroom apartment, just minutes away from our sweet little home that's about to become a serious construction zone.  Still seems surreal.

Apartment living is definitely a drastic change from the spacious home and yard we're used to; but I think with a little creativity, a LOT of organization, and some serious patience, we'll make the next few months here feel a little less like an apartment and much more like our home!

First, here's our "blank canvas" - where we started just three days ago.

{nursery before}
{Dining Room Before}
{Living Area Before}
Pretty normal.  Pretty boring.

So....For anyone else like me who is dying to decorate and "nest" in a temporary apartment or rental, here are my thoughts on how to make your new space feel more like you:

DIY Temporary Pieces:
Since we are only here for a short time (I hope!) I couldn't fathom the thought of spending even Target prices on bar stools.  So off to Goodwill we went. 
I didn't take a before picture - but you can imagine...they were $2.99 each and even THAT seemed like a stretch!
Nothing a little white and gold spray paint couldn't fix.
$6 feels MUCH better for a temporary need like this:
Even little changes can make a HUGE difference in a room. 
I recently found this IKEA Hemnes dresser on Craigslist for a steal.  
{I can't tell you how long I have been looking for one of these!! I know I could have driven to IKEA and bought one at any point; but the thought of putting it together seemed too daunting.  Although, really, who am I kidding? I would have passed that job off to Michael after the first step in the instruction booklet.}
Though I loved it as is, I wanted to make it POP a bit more:
RING PULLS to the rescue.  
Here's my favorite source:
 MUCH better!
{And now....baby boy Knotts is free to come anytime.  He finally has a nursery.  Even if it is in an apartment.  Goodness knows he won't mind.}

Utilize Baskets {make it functional}
Baskets and other organizational tools are important always; but especially so in cramped quarters.  
A place for everything and everything in it's place, right? 
{It doesn't hurt that these baskets from the Container Store are super reasonably priced.  So if they don't work in the new house, that'll be alright too!}

{A colorful Target dollar spot tray is all ready for Baby Boy Knotts in just a few days!}

A vintage ladder takes up no room, fills up dead wall space, AND doubles as a blanket holder.
Triple win!
{Though the living room is not the ideal place for Elle's favorite tee-pee, it sure makes cooking dinner easier when she can play within eyesight.}

 Dress Up Your Table
A decorated table adds so much warmth and sparkle to a home {and when you're living in a drab apartment, you need all the sparkle you can get}
This particular table was sitting in our garage as were the chairs.  We won't use either in our newly renovated home; but they work well for now. 
I know, I know . . . enough with the gold and white, right?
I. Just. Can't. Stop.



Outshine the Ugly:
Sometimes apartment living presents significant decorating challenges.  Take this air return vent for example.  Obviously we can't cover it; but distracting the eye a bit with an equally large mirror and never hurt:

And instead of staring at a boring patio every day, we brought a little of the lake with us - our favorite rocking chairs.  But instead of gazing at a lake, we're now staring at a pool; but, hey... it's better than a parking lot!


Add "Uniquely You" Touches:
Though you may be here 4 months or 24 months, don't hesitate to make it feel like home. 
Hang that art you love and bring in pieces that have meaning.
In our case, most of our big pieces went to storage, but we did bring along a coffee table Michael made for me from driftwood we found together in the lake.  I've never loved this table more.  It now reminds me that we'll soon be back to our real home.


Because.... plants and fresh flowers are ALWAYS a good idea!

And my final tip: even though it's temporary, even though it's a rental, make sure others ALWAYS feel welcome.  This home of yours - temporary or otherwise - may not be perfect and you may not love everything about it; but be sure to  love on everyone who walks through those doors!  


As I heard one of my favorite authors and speakers say this past year: when guests leave your home - be it a mansion or a shack - they should leave feeling better about themselves and not better about you. 
{paraphrase of Shauna Niequist}

Isn't that what true hospitality is all about anyways? 

Cheers to a cozy apartment and my two {soon to be THREE} favorite people I am blessed to share it with!

No comments:

Post a Comment